Monday, June 17, 2013

Dating Prince Harry

People tell me that technology is slowly ruining our lives. I agree with them wholeheartedly. I know that being at the constant beck and call of text messages and email can drive a girl insane. I can feel my brain slowly warping because of my dependence on Google to tell me things like how to spell the name of the actress who starred in Jane Eyre. And I really hate the time stamps on iPhone messages telling people that you read their messages and are ignoring them. But I forgive technology all of these sins because it gave me the joy of instant streaming.

Those of my parents' generation, chained to their traditions, their cable boxes, and their television reruns, will disagree with me. I've read countless articles decrying this innovation of the future. Some people say bingewatching tv makes us dumber. Some say that it's good to wait for a week or more between installments of television shows. And some say that it destroys community because last night's TV is all we have to discuss around the watercooler at work the next day. I don't know if anyone in their right mind actually does this. If they do then I feel sorry that all they have to connect with each other is what the cable gods saw fit to play for them last night. Suffice to say none of these arguments are compelling enough to stop my habit of Saturday bingewatching via Netflix or Amazon.

It's come to the point where if it's not on instant streaming, I don't bother. I don't care how great your favorite television show is. I refuse to watch it unless it's available to watch when I want. I am a material girl used to 21st century instant gratification. You can judge me all you please, but it's simply the way things are. I can remember the not so very long ago days when people were chained to the cruel dictates of the television prime time lineup, and I didn't like it. I didn't like the commercials, I didn't like wishing there were more episodes of Seinfeld on and less episodes of Friends, and I didn't like being at the mercy of whoever decides what to play when. And now that Netflix has dialed it up a notch by releasing entire seasons for my enjoyment, how can I ever go back to watching a weekly television show?

It's like dating. Given a choice between Prince Harry (who you will never meet) and the guy next door (who might not be everything you hoped and dreamed but is awfully available), you will date the guy next door and kiss the redheaded dream prince goodbye. Why? Because a girl has to eat, and someone who is there and offering to take you out for dinner has a better chance of making you happy than a non-existent prince who is busy playing strip poker. Now if you'll excuse me, I just found out that Call the Midwife is now streaming. I'll tell you all about it in a few days.

No comments: