Friday, January 7, 2011

Cold January


I must confess that January is not my favorite of months. For me, it's merely the lull between December which has Christmas and February which has my birthday (and therefore is a pink month). Poor January gets little love. Until this year. I am going to find a reason to be happy in January if it is the last thing I do, so below is a list of things to like about January that I compiled on the metro ride home last night after finding I had forgotten my book. 

1. Curl up and watch miniseries. 


And not crazy ones. The real ones that the BBC makes and then PBS shows months later. Miniseries are probably a girl thing, but its such fun to be able to curl up on the couch or in your bed and be transported to a different time and world where things were different, yet very much the same. Besides. It's usually too cold to be outside so what could possibly be a better use of your time?

2. Longer days. 


I may be a optimist, but I do believe that I can already tell that it's lighter outside as I make my way home through the cold, dark city. I now judge this by the contrast between the Washington Monument and the night sky. Last night it was a decidedly lighter sky than I had seen in weeks. 

3. The general excitement of a new year


Like it or not, 2011 is here, and I have a feeling in my bones that it will surpass even last year in terms of excitement, fun, and supreme happiness. 



These are the things I am attempting to focus on this month, while I wait for February's pink champagne celebrations of love, and attempt to be happy despite the cold. Happy January!

No comments: