Friday, July 2, 2010

"all, everything that i understand,

i understand only because i love." --Tolstoy

The Last Station has been on my list of must see movies for a while, so of course I was delighted when Netflix sent me an email saying that it was on its way.


And I wasn't disappointed. The cinematography and the music was simply beautiful.


And Helen Mirren will always be a favorite.


Though I had read Tolstoy's short novel The Death of Ivan Ilyich in college, I had no idea that Tolstoy's works had inspired a movement of Tolstoyans who were all in love with the man. But though this love was powerful, it couldn't match the love his wife had for him. The Tolstoyans loved the man for the lofty ideals he had, while Sofya loved him for who he was. She copied out War and Peace six times for him when he didn't have a secretary. That's love.


And in the end I think he realized that while the Tolstoyans loved him for his works and thoughts, she still loved the soul of him. And that's all that matters.

(movie stills via here)

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Tolstoy once said, "all, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."